Saturday, April 4, 2009

Baby Chicks/Barn


We got twelve straight run baby chicks. Straight run means we do not know if they are pullets (hens) or cockrels (roosters). We currently think that there are 2-5 roosters. We really only need one, so the rest will most likely end up in the fry-pan. I really really want to order some Brahmas (feather-footed heavy breed with small combs, said to be good for winter laying/cold winters), but as this is our first time actually starting chicks, we decided to start with some from Orschlens (farm supply store in Guthrie). They are Barred Plymouth Rocks, also a good breed, our first adopted girls where Plymouth Rocks they were good layers and friendly. We started with them in the house (in the office/old playroom). They kids loved having them in the house. I just realized I did not get any pictures with the kids and the chicks! The boys had a lot of fun holding them the first week, but as they get so big so fast this last week trying to hold them just created a stir! Clara liked to try to break into the office and look. Poor Snugli was banned outside. Berkley took a liking to them and had a lot of supervised look time. She is great with the big birds and I have actually never seen her chase them. She would sit with her head on the edge just looking at the birds. In the first pictures the birds are about a week old. The one with Berkley a little older, closer to two weeks. Same for the picture after the one with Berkley. Provided they all survive the move to the barn and reach maturity (without a fox or coyote incident), next will be some butchers birds from Orschlens as well. Then I think we will be getting some Brahmas.








I did get some pictures of the birds moved to the old coop, the new coop and the barn. The barn and corn crib really need to be painted. We have been wanting to do it for two years, just so hard to find the time! Surprise with all we have going on, that we have a hard time finding time to paint a barn- hah! (for some reason I find that very amusing!) First picture, some of the surviving girls and Sam the male Guinea. The "old" barn (which will eventually be torn down) to the left and the corn cib to the right.




View between the corn-crib and barn. Our back field. You can see some green sarting to peak through in the grass, otherwise still pretty brown around here.








The desperatly-in-need-of-a-paint-job barn.







Close up of the chicks in the old/little (now transition) coop. Jeff wrapped it in plastic to help keep a draft out. We are using a red light for heat.







View of the whole old or little coop. My mother and I built this a few years ago. It is small and portable (maybe 4 x 6 feet). Across the back are three nest boxes with a door to lift and open to get the eggs. The barn floor is cement, so the coop sits on this without a bottom.









The new, or big coop that Jeff completed last year. The big trash bins hold food. It is a large L shaped and I think he did a great job. It turned out very nice.





















The other end with the nest boxes, which he also built. Along with the nice little walkways up and off the boxes to a roost. That is cloth over the boxes. My mother does this, as I am typing this I can't remember why!
















Then, some of the inside of the barn. I did not climb up to the loft (had Clara sleeping in the wrap when I took these), just took some from the ground looking up








































We found this last year in what we think used to be a horse stall. It is rubbed in the wood. It is initials and the date "1890". That would go with the dates of the original part of the house. I thought it was super cool!
















No comments:

Post a Comment